College Entrance Related Pages:
Why Take the PSAT (Preliminary SAT)/NMSQT (National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test):
- It provides practice for the SAT.
- It provides the basis for the National Merit Scholarship competition. (Only juniors are eligible for National Merit consideration.)
For the student who decides to take the PSAT with no preparation, the results provide an excellent guide to preparing for the SAT, as the student’s strengths and weaknesses become apparent. For the student who scored well on the PSAT as a sophomore, preparation for the PSAT as a junior can help him/her to qualify for National Merit consideration. KTS offers PSAT prep in private tutoring sessions for the private tutoring rate, plus a one-time fee to cover the cost of the prep book and materials. This book can also be used for future SAT prep work.
Students usually attend one-hour sessions once a week. These sessions can take place in school or outside of school (afternoon, evening, or weekend) at a mutually convenient time and place. Please call (401) 595-9350 to make private tutoring arrangements.
This year the PSAT is scheduled for Wednesday, October 14. There is no Saturday PSAT in 2015.
PSAT TEST FORMAT:
The SAT is changing dramatically, and the new version will go into effect for the March, 2016, test date. The October, 2015, PSAT will reflect the changes and will, thus, not be able to be compared with a prior PSAT the student may have taken his/her sophomore year. Wrong answers no longer adversely affect the score; just the correct answers create the score. The Reading and Writing sections have been combined into one score, and for some of the math problems a calculator will be prohibited. More detailed feedback will accompany the new PSAT results.
- Evidence-Based Reading & Writing
- Reading Test–47 Questions in 60 Minutes
- Writing Test–44 Questions in 35 Minutes
- Mathematics Section–47 Questions in 70 Minutes
- No Essay
- Approximately 2 hours 45 minutes length
TEST PREP CURRICULUM:
- Review & practice of test-taking strategies
- Review of all math concepts and formulas
- Vocabulary building
- Reading comprehension practice
- Complete review of grammar and punctuation